7 Most Popular Household Products Causing Lung Failure, Hormone Imbalance, and Even Cancer

Recently, the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics  stated that “Widespread exposure to toxic environmental chemicals threatens healthy human reproduction.”

Other medical groups such as the Endocrine Society, the world’s oldest and largest organization devoted to researching hormones, have expressed similar concerns.

But this is the first time that leading scientists, doctors and policy advocates across various disciplines have come together to say that the science on toxic chemicals is clear: They can harm brain development.

Countless items in your home are contaminated with harsh chemicals that slowly accumulate in your tissues and cause toxic overload.  These items could potentially be cancer causing products.

While it’s best to only buy organic homemade or traditional products, here are 7 possible cancer causing products and household items you should replace as soon as possible.

1. Shampoo

Respected academic and scientist David Suzuki reports that 80% common household products contain at least one of the 12 most toxic chemicals, which include carcinogens and endocrine disruptors like parabens, sodium laureth sulfate, formaldehyde-releasing preservatives and p-phenylenediamine (1).

When it comes to shampoo, parabens, fragrance, color and cocamide diethanolamine are the worst offenders. But these chemical aren’t just in shampoo: it’s estimated that 1 in 8 of the82,000 ingredients used in personal care products is industrial chemicals, including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptors.

Even some “organic” or “natural” shampoo brands can contain harsh chemicals.

 

2. Candles

Although they may be given names like “summer breeze” or “strawberry shortcake”, scented candles are far from natural. In fact, most candles-even unscented ones-contain formaldehyde, an incredibly harmful chemical that emits toxic fumes when heated.

 Formaldehyde is also known to cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin and well as respiratory distress, nausea and cancer.

Instead, use all-natural beeswax candles (we recommend this).

3. Air Fresheners

Air fresheners and perfumes contain fragrance, which uses up to 3,000 chemicals to create a particular scent. These can lead to neurological problems, poor immunity, autoimmune disorders, dermatitis, respiratory distress, asthma, eye irritation, cancer, allergies, infertility, miscarriage, and so much more.

Worse yet, the ingredients are not required to be listed on the products, meaning that you never really know what you’re breathing in.

Instead, make your own all-natural air freshener room spray.

4. Shower Curtains

When it comes to shower curtains, PVC and vinyl have been popular for dozen years but there’s increasing evidence that shows that one of these materials aren’t safe. Researchers found that PVC shower curtains can release up to 108 Volatile Organic Compounds, including 7 which are on the EPA’s list of hazardous air pollutants.

Every time you shower, you breathe in these compounds. Prolonged exposed is linked to damage to the liver, central nervous system, respiratory system, reproductive system, and can contribute to developmental damage.

Instead, buy organic cotton or hemp curtains and wash and iron them often to prevent mold.

5. Art Supplies

Art supplies like glue, paint and permanent markers shouldn’t be used by your children during craft time. In fact, the products are known to cause headaches, nausea, burns, breathing problems, lung, and kidney damage as well as cancer.

This is the reason that so many craft products have warning labels that caution that the product should not be inhaled, ingested or placed on the skin.

Instead, look for the AP or CP seal on the products you give you children, which proves that they are non-toxic. Better yet, replace water with water and spices like mustard or turmeric, replace markers with charcoal or make homemade glue using flour and water.

6. Insecticides and Pesticides

These products don’t just kill bugs, they slowly poison your family too! These products work by using neurotoxins, like pyrethroids, which can lead to Parkinson’s disease in humans.

The products are particularly harmful to children, who are more sensitive to environmental toxins and can even cause illness and death to house pets.

Instead, make your own insect repellent jars.

7. Antiperspirants

By now, you’ve probably heard that anti-antiperspirants and deodorants often contain aluminum to keep your armpits dry. The use of these products has been linked to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and breast cancer because aluminum is hard for your body to expel and tends to accumulate in the tissues of the brain and breast.